Sunday, August 28, 2011

Self-Reliance

self-re·li·ance (slfr-lns)
n.
Reliance on one's own capabilities, judgment, or resources; independence.

self-re·liant adj.
self-re·liant·ly adv.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend:  Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj.1.self-reliant - (of persons) free from external control and constraint in e.g. action and judgment
independent - free from external control and constraint; "an independent mind"; "a series of independent judgments"; "fiercely independent individualism"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

self-reliant
adjective independent, capable, self-sufficient, self-contained, self-sustaining, self-supporting, able to stand on your own two feet (informal) She is intelligent and self-reliant.
dependent, helpless, reliant, relying on others
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002


my story:

My late gynae used that word on me. It was many years ago when I had just delivered my baby. I went for my regular check up all on my own. I used to see spouses accompanied their wives. 
After I had delivered my baby, I had to go for my post-natal check up together with my baby. When the doctor needed to check me, I brought in my baby too. He was surprised to see me alone.

The nurse had to carry my baby for a while. Later after the process, the doctor commented, "You are really a self-reliant lady!"



Well, I guess I am indeed one. I usually stand on my own. I don't like to depend too much on my husband.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...